Sandford Bush Festival 2020 Patron
Dobe Newton (OAM)
In 1972 Dobe joined the original Bushwhackers and Bullockies Bush Band.
The band quickly established ‘legendary’ pub residencies in Melbourne’s inner north and developed a loyal following. Five European tours over the next seven years saw them establish a significant reputation and fan base as energetic, skillful interpreters of a unique Antipodean version of the anglo/celtic tradition. Musical influences encountered and the lessons learned from a decade of touring made Dobe determined to establish the Bushies at the forefront of Australia’s contemporary music scene. Almost fifty years later we can conclude that he has succeeded.
Some of Dobe’s involvement in the National Music Scene over forty-something years:
- He headed up the WA Music Industry Association and established the WA Music Industry Awards
- He was CEO of the Victorian Rock Foundation and Melbourne Music Festival
- He was National Director of Ausmusic’s Australian Music Week
- He worked as part of the teaching staff offering Australia’s first TAFE course in Music Business
- He has been a long serving member of the CMAA Board and Executive (Current President)
- He was involved in the establishment and development of the Australian College of Country Music
- He is the voice behind multi-award winning TV and radio ads
- He is co-writer (with Bruce Woodley) of ‘We Are Australian’
Dobe Newton (OAM) is a ‘doer’, a ‘giver’ and an all-round ‘good bloke’. We are delighted that he accepted our invitation to be our patron.